1/2 Photos of Achiote Pork Torta - (Sandwiches)
6 hrs 15 mins
These are out of this world! I made these to take to the San Francisco Giants game today. Although the Giants didn't win, we left full and happy! The meat in these is very flavorful and gets a nice color from Achiote paste. From my favorite cookbook Baja: Cooking From the Edge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, plus more to thin the marinade if necessary
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 1/2 ounces achiote paste (available in Latin markets- it comes in a small, dark-red brick)
- 10 fresh cilantro stems
- 2 lbs boneless pork butt or 2 lbs pork shoulder
- 6 large soft white sandwich buns or 6 large a baguette
- sliced asadero cheese (I used provolone) or chihuahua cheese (I used provolone)
- shredded lettuce or cabbage
- sliced ripe roma tomato
- naked guacamole (see Naked Guacamole)
- sliced red onion
- pickled jalapeno pepper
- hot salsa (optional) or other salsa (optional)
- 1In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic, vinegar, juices, salt, and cumin. Pulse until well combined. Crumble in the achiote and pulse to combine into a very soft paste; add more vinegar by the tablespoon to loosen it up if necessary. Blend in the cilantro.
- 2Cut the meat into lenghtwise slices 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Lay the meat between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness of 1/4 inch. Coat the slices generously with the paste and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and no more than 12 hours.
- 3Half an hour before cooking, clrean the grill thoroughly with a brush and wipe it down with an oil-dampened rag. Preheat the grill on high.
- 4Remove the meat from the marinade and shake off as much of the paste as possible. Place the meat on the grill, close the lid, and grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, checking often to make sure the meat doesn't burn or cook too quickly; if it does, move it to a cooler part of the grill. The meat is done perfectly when it has an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Do not overcook or the meat will dry out. (I used my George Foreman grill and just made sure to wipe it with a paper towel between batches) Set the meat aside, loosely covered with foil.
- 5To serve, split the rolls and toast on the grill, then layer from the bottom up: cheese, meat, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, onion, jalapenos, and salsa. Skewer with a couple of toothpicks and cut in half.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Achiote Pork Torta - (Sandwiches)
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.3
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 446.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: