Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to make paneer in a different way than usual. This turned out real good. I have had this recipe for a long time. Note: The seeds used in the seasoning are available in Indian grocery stores in a mixture called "Paanch Puran" which really means five types of seeds. You can use tese if you do not have them individually in store
- 1 cup panir, cubed (cottage cheese)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 -6 fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black salt
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mix the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, cumin seeds and asafetida in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil and add the seed mixture.
- When they crackle, add the onion and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add the paneer, turmeric, chili powder, black salt and stir for some time.
- Add the yogurt, sprinkle the plain flour and mix well.
- Add the cilantro and salt and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.