Recipe by Chandra M
A crunchy cooling side dish perfect for those hot curries. Serving size is as an accompaniment. Cook time includes 3 hours refrigeration. From Secrets of Slow Cooking.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced white cabbage (green also works)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 fresh serrano chilies, halved
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the cucumber, carrots, and onion into julienne strips.
- Place all vegetables in a medium-large glass bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss to combine.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Put the vegetables in a colander and rinse under cold water to remove the salt, drain well.
- Combine the vinegar, water, and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is boiling.
- Immediately pour over the vegetables in the bowl, toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Serve cold.