Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tangy spicy potatoes. Serve these as these as a side dish at a party, they are addictive.
- 5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste (if you dont have this and want to make it- great for indian as well as chinese cooking. Chop equal q)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji- optional available at indian stores)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing) (optional)
- Fry the potatoes till tender.
- Remove from the pan.
- Fry the onion till golden add the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the tumeric, the water, lemon juice then add the chilli powder salt and sugar.
- let it cook for a couple seconds then add the potatoes.
- Let the potatoes absorb the water and get a little dryish.
- Remove from the fire.
- in a seperate pan heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and nigella seeds.
- Add the red chillies unbroken.
- When the mustard seeds sputter add the hing and immediately pour over the potatoes.
- Mix together and serve.