1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Haven't made meatloaf in YEARS and couldn't find my favorite recipe for it. I decided to wing it after discovering I didn't have enough ingredients in the cupboard to make the standard variety. It turned out F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. Super-moist and very flavorful. Not too sweet. Leftovers made great sandwiches. To make the fresh breadcrumbs, simply tear some slices of bread up into smaller pieces and pulse in a food processor until fine. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup (I used a lower sugar ketchup)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used a Texas-style sauce that has lower sugar in it)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used a fire roasted tomato with adobo sauce)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (fresh)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 2 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly & halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and finely diced
- 8 slices bacon
- olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Cook the mushrooms over medium/high heat until softened and lightly browned.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium/low. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, stirring often.
- 4Turn off heat and put vegetables aside to cool slightly.
- 5Combine the beef, ketchup, bbq sauce, tomatoes, breadcrumbs, eggs, worcestershire, and salt in a large bowl. Mix very well.
- 6Add the vegetables to the meat mixture. Mix well.
- 7Put the meat mixture into the cast iron skillet. Form it into a standard loaf shape or pat it down to fit the skillet. It will take more time to cook if it's a loaf shape.
- 8Cover with the strips of bacon.
- 9Bake for at least 1 hour. Mine took 1 hour and 15 minutes in a conventional oven. The meat should be cooked in the very center and the bacon should be slightly crisp. Cooking time will vary based on your oven and the shape of the loaf. It may take up to 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- 10Let rest for 15 minutes. Pour off any separated fat. Serve warm.
- 11Makes GREAT meatloaf sandwiches the next day.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Accidental Meatloaf (Not Too Sweet & No Milk)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.2
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 134.7 mg
- Sodium 719.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 23.4 g