Recipe by Erin rae
I had this craving for nachos tonight. I tried making up a recipe and i was worried it would turn out too strong while cooking it so i added a bit too much milk. So I just ate it as a soup and it was hearty, very tasty and somewhat low fat too. Hope you like it as much as I do!
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- 12 slices low-fat American cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 1⁄3 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 avocado, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (optional)
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once brown, add taco seasoning and water.
- Stir and let simmer for five minutes.
- Drain meat slightly, but not completely (so you still have a little of the taco sauce left).
- Stack slices of american cheese and cut into thin strips, then cut those strips into little squares (they might stick together into cubes but thats ok).
- Into a large pot, add the cheese squares, soup, salsa, milk and bell pepper.
- Add the taco meat.
- Stir to combine and cook over medium heat until cheese squares have melted and incorporated and the mixture is almost boiling.
- Top with avocado and sour cream if you choose.
- Serve hot with plenty of tortilla chips for dipping or crushing on top.