Recipe by Zeph's Wife
Copied from our local newspaper years ago. They write: Not only is it easy to assemble, it also has incredible staying power. Once it puffs up on baking, you can serve it buffet-style without worry that your souffle will cave in before everyone has been served. Much more colorful than the usual cheese souffle, it's stuffed with mild green chilies, red pimiento, chicken and cheddar and jack cheeses.
- 946.36 ml cooked chicken breasts or 680.38 g cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 177.44 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 177.44 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 29.58 ml mild green chilies, canned, diced
- 29.58 ml pimientos, diced or 56.69 g jar pimientos
- 236.59 ml evaporated milk, undiluted, divided use
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- green chili salsa, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook's notes: Use squeaky-clean bowls and beaters for whipping eggs to their fullest height. Do not over-beat egg whites. If you beat the egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy, they'll fold easily into your souffle mixture.
- Preliminaries: Grease a 12-by-8-by-2" baking dish with butter or margarine. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Procedure: Arrange chicken pieces in prepared pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, green chilies and pimiento. Sprinkle cheese-chili mixture over chicken, reserving 1/3 cup of mixture for later use.
- Combine 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and flour in a large bowl; gradually add remaining milk stirring until smooth. Add egg yolks, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into milk mixture. Spread over chicken and cheese mixture, smoothing the top. Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup cheese-chili mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Presentation: Serve hot accompanied with green chili salsa.