Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Well I'm at it again, creating recipes in anticipation of my bumper eggplant crop again. . .
- 1 eggplant (8-inch long)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 large vidalia onion (or any sweet onion)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (Baby Bellas)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices Velveeta cheese (singles)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut eggplant top off, and cut eggplant in half length wise. Scoop out flesh and seeds. (Discard seedy areas.) Chop flesh into bite sized pieces.
- Sprinkle kosher salt & pepper into the two eggplant halves.
- Line a baking dish/pan with a sheet of baker's parchment paper and bake the eggplant halves with a teaspoon of butter in each half for 20 minutes.
- Chop onion, pepper & eggplant into 1/4" pieces (does not have to be precise).
- In skillet add 1 tablespoon of margarine.
- On medium low heat saute onion, bell pepper, eggplant pieces and mushrooms until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle garlic salt over mixture.
- Add Velveeta cheese by placing cheese on top of mixture.
- When the cheese melts, stir the whole mixture together so cheese coats vegetables.
- Remove eggplant from oven and stuff the two halves with the vegetable & cheese mixture.
- Bake combination another 20 minutes or until eggplant halves are tender.
This was a very yummy recipe for filled eggplant! The filling really tastes superb! The mushrooms give it a unique taste and the addition of cheese makes it somewhat special. I used ordinary gouda cheese as I hate velveeta. Only had a green bell pepper, so went ahead with it and it blended right in. lol I luved the overall seasoning and taste of the dish, but had a little problem texturewise. My eggplant's skin stayed really rubbery at most parts. I think next time I will add a tbs or so of water to the cooking dish to help it soften up. Other than that though, this recipe is great! Thanks so much for sharing it here with us, Acadia! Made and reviewed for my chosen chef during Veggie Swap #20 March 2010.
Mmmm! The filling tasted like a Philly stake sandwich with out the steak. Made the filling while the eggplant was cooking. Used fat free cheese which is not as dark yellow as Velveeta. We loved both the texture and flavor. Will be making again soon. Thanks so much for the post.