Recipe by AcadiaTwo
We love ratatouille! I usually have an abundance of zucchini and yellow squash in my garden, however, this year since we received so much rain the zucchini & squash crop was poor. So I have been force to buy my ingredients. For my family's taste, I omit the red pepper flakes and salt as the canned tomatoes have enough salt in them, however if you choose to use fresh tomatoes I would add the salt.
Top Review by loof
Delicious veggie recipe! I don't care for onion so left it out and used extra peppers instead. I liked the slight kick from the crushed red pepper flakes. I served this as a side dish but I think it would be great over pasta, rice, or as a topping for pizza. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion (sliced or diced)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced yellow squash
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 quart Dutch oven add the olive oil and onions. Saute on medium low until tender about 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute stirring frequently (Do not let garlic burn).
- Slice up bell peppers, add to mixture and saute an additional 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add basil, oregano and parsley mixing with other ingredients.
- Add crushed tomatoes, zucchini, squash, red pepper flakes, salt and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Cover for and cook for 1 hour or so on low/simmer, stirring every 5 minutes until zucchini and squash are tender. (I set my timer).
- Place parmesan cheese on table to be sprinkled on top of each individual serving.