Recipe by AcadiaTwo
This is my version of marinara sauce for pasta! Yummy! I omit the salt as I use canned crushed tomatoes which I find for us to have enough salt. However, if you use fresh tomatoes I would add the salt for your taste. Enjoy!
Top Review by mama smurf
Wonderful! Made this in advance so when I came home all I had to do was heat this up and serve it with some meatballs (heated) that I had in the freezer and served them over pasta. A green salad was served along side. Definately will make this one again...so simple and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion (sliced or diced)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper (minced)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning mix
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine (sweet)
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 quart Dutch oven add the olive oil and onions. Saute on medium low until tender about 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute stirring frequently (Do not let garlic burn).
- Slice up bell peppers, add to mixture and saute an additional 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add sherry.
- Add basil, oregano, parsley, Italian seasoning and mix with other ingredients.
- Remove mixture and place in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Place pureed mixture back into dutch oven.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Add salt (optional).
- Bring to a low boil stirring frequently, then reduce to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 45 min on low/simmer, stirring every 5 minutes (I set my timer).
- Remove bay leaf before serving.