Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Yum! I love lasagna. This is a great "one" dish anytime meal. I use a 12 ” x 8” x 2” baking dish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (veal, and pork mixture)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (fresh, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 15 1⁄2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 1 pint ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Boil water and olive oil, then remove from heat.
- Place lasagna noodles in hot water to soften for about 5 minutes, drain and and rinse in cool water.
- Brown ground meat.
- Saute onion, garlic, basil, oregano until onion is tender. Then mix with browned ground meat.
- Add tomatoes to meat mixture and simmer 30-minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Rub baking dish with butter then arrange three alternate layers of noodles, ricotta cheese, meat mixture and mozzarella.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 40 mintes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6.
Really nice one dish meal. I am terrible in that I don't like boiling my noodles first so I skipped that step and just used dry noodles. I did feel the ricotta needed a bit of seasoning so added garlic pepper and about 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and to make it bind better while baking I added one egg too. Really liked the flavors of the sauce and did top the whole dish with extra sauce (that helps my dry noodles bake) and then used more mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses for the top. Baked for 45 minutes covered with foil and then an additional 15 minutes uncovered (a bit longer because I used dry noodles) and it was fantastic. Made for Potluck tag.
YUM! Comfort food! I doubled the recipe so to have leftovers and to use a complete box of noodles. Seasoned the ricotta cheese with 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, and 1 egg. I did add 1/2 the mozzerella cheese that I shredded to the ricota mixture. I did use half the oregano mine was strong fresh dried from the garden. I also added extra sauce for the top. Thanks!
This was delicious!!! I haven't made lasagna for a long time and this turned out great. Like the other reviewers, I did add some seasonings to the ricotta (1 egg, salt and pepper, fresh parsley and some of the mozzerella and parmesan cheese and also more sauce on top.) This is going into my Favorites of 2013 and I will be making this again. Thank you for posting. Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #81 tag game.