Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is actually similar to twice baked potatoes, except the second part is cooked in the microwave. We always refer to them as "diet" potatoes as a joke, since they are really loaded potatoes.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked, crumbled)
- 4 tablespoons chives (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and wait for it to reach temperature.
- Wash potatoes and stab them with a fork or knife on one side 2-3 times.
- Place them on middle rack of oven with cuts facing up.
- Bake for 1.5 hours.
- Remove hot potatoes and place them on a microwave safe dish.
- Cut them length wise about an inch and half deep.
- Squeeze ends to open a large hole in top.
- Use fork to mash up the potato flesh and add 2-tablespoons butter to each potato. Do not remove the flesh from the potato.
- Divide crumbled bacon into 4 piles and add to potato flesh.
- Mix shredded cheeses together. Use a 1/4 cup of cheese in each potato opening.
- Microwave potatoes 1-2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Top with 1 ounce of sour cream on each potato.
- Top with chives.
What's not to like? These are the best darn 'Diet' potatoes I've ever had. Who knew full fat cheddar, bacon and sour cream were diet food? :) Acadia, it's clear I've been reading the wrong books. ;) Honoured to make this as a "Thank You" for voting for Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia in the 2010 Kraft Hockeyville Competition.
Very tasty and alot easier than twice baked potatoes. Thanks for sharing.