Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've made this using the creamy version and Portuguese sausage. You can make this with any spicy sausage, such as hot Italian sausage, casings removed, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in thick puree
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb rigatoni pasta
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Cover the pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes longer.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes. Drain and toss the pasta with the sauce.
- Creamy Acadian Rigatoni.
- For a creamy version of this dish, use 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 cup of cream, and an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt in place of the canned tomatoes in puree. This variation, while more luxurious, is actually a little quicker.
- ANDOUILLE SUBSTITUTIONS:.
- If neither andouille nor hot Italian sausage is available, use a mild sausage and add 1/4 teaspoon of dried red-pepper flakes with the tomatoes and salt.
I found that the pasta size and the size of the sausages were a bit too big to go together nicely. I didn't love this one. Made for ZWT 9 for the Tasty Testers.
Utter comfort food! I used a spicy sausage AND I added a dash of red pepper flakes, enjoyed the bite!! this was absolutely scrumptious and a breeze to prepare after a long day at work! Loved this recipe, thank you lazyme, this was prepared for ZWT 9
What a delicious dish! I followed the recipe exactly using andouille sausage. This is a wonderful recipe to have on hand for busy days since it came together so quickly. When I make this again, I would like to try the creamy version. I served this with rolls and a green salad with cookies for dessert. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Made for ZWTIII