Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are how the "real" cajuns do it!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, stirl together sugar, cream, syrup, baking soda and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches 234 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Once mixture reaches proper temp, remove from heat.
- Add pecans and vanilla, stirring constantly until the mixture is creamy and covers pecans with a slight opaque coating.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonful onto wax paper.
- Cool completely.
- These should be stored in an airtight container between sheets of wax paper to prevent sticking.
- THIS RECIPE CAN EASILY BE DOUBLED.