Recipe by *Pixie*
this is a hearty casserole with lots of veggies and topped with bread crumbs and cheddar...
Top Review by Amanda Jones29
Good casserole! I thought something was missing until I realized I forgot to add parmesan cheese to it! This tops it off and makes quite the filling dish. I'm bringing it for lunch the next couple of days =)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced peeled carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck or 1 1⁄2 lbs very lean hamburger
- 20 small mushroom caps
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (17 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (8 ounce) package small shell pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bread, cubes buttered
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skilled and saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery and mushrooms for about 5 minutes until onion is golden.
- Add beef and cook stirring continuously until no longer red.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, sherry, salt, pepper, oregano, basil.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook macaroni and spinach as per package directions.
- Drain well and add to sauce.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place mixture in a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Top with bread cubes and cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.