Recipe by mollypaul
A Southwestern twist on an old favorite from Abuelo's courtesy of a copycat website.
Top Review by swissms
This was a very nice accompaniment to our carnitas. I did reduce the recipe down to 1/4 of the original recipe, using 3 6-oz bags of baby spinach, and got 6 servings. I do not care for mushrooms so omitted them, otherwise made as written. The spinach has a wonderful flavor which was enjoyed by all. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 5 lbs fresh spinach leaves, cleaned,stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup smoked bacon, in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 cups fresh diced onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup fresh diced red bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 8 ounces processed cheese, cut into 2 cubes 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 2 cubes
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, combined
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Braise spinach in stock pot until limp but still bright green.
- Place spinach in strainer and press to remove all water.
- Brown bacon in saucepan and drain, discarding drippings.
- Add butter to bacon in pan.
- Add mushrooms, chipotle purée, onions, garlic, red bell pepper and seasoning salt and sauté until onions and mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in processed cheese and cream cheese cubes and cook until cheese has melted, stirring constantly.
- Place spinach in cheese mixture and stir well.
- Add corn and stir well.
- Cook for an additional three minutes stirring continually.
- Place in casserole sprayed with cooking spray and top with grated cheese.
- Heat in oven until cheese is melted.