Recipe by mollypaul
A savory, spicy heartwarmer for cold winter days from a copycat site.
Top Review by Ms. MO
This soup is so very good! I found this same recipe in the Dallas Morning News, as Abuelo's is a local restaurant. I've made it several times. To make the prep easier, instead of dealing with a whole chicken, I use chicken breasts, then add chicken stock for half of the water. Do not substitute the chicken base; it can be found in most grocery stores. I also serve with avocado slices and crispy tortilla strips.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 gallons water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon finely chopped hot chili pepper
- 3⁄4 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned are all fine)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 gallon reserved chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken base
- 7 ounces white hominy, drained
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- For Chicken :.
- Remove skin and wings from chicken; cover with water and add chicken base.
- Cook chicken over medium heat for approximately 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool; bone chicken and chop meat into small pieces.
- Reserve broth.
- While the chicken is cooling, start the soup:.
- Place canola oil in pan and heat.
- Add onion, tomato, garlic, oregano, chili powder, salt and chilies and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add corn, chicken, reserved broth, additional chicken base and hominy.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and remove from heat.
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot.