Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From the Border Cookbook, this is described as being "fast enough for a weeknight and fancy enough for company." Posted for ZWT 3, Mexico. You can control the heat/spiciness of this by using milder or hotter chiles. This goes well with Rice Tortitas (#231463).
Top Review by littleturtle
Easy and pretty good, but a little on the bland side. I used chicken breasts and added 1/2 tsp salt while cooking and we added pepper and more salt at the table. I would use an extra clove of garlic and an extra chili pepper next time, if I make this again. Thanks though.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 mild dried ancho chiles (or 4 hot arbol chiles, if you like more heat) or 3 dried pasilla peppers (or 4 hot arbol chiles, if you like more heat)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 4 -6 chicken pieces (leg-thigh sections, boneless breasts, your choice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- blend the whipping cream and buttermilk to form the "crema".
- in a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of the crema with the stock, milk, almonds, 2 of the chiles and garlic and bring the mixture just to a boil over medium heat.
- let it sit for 5 minutes for the chiles to soften.
- transfer the mixture to a blender and puree.
- add salt to the sauce to taste.
- salt the chicken lightly. warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- add the chicken and brown it on both sides. it may be easier to brown the chicken in batches, but return all the pieces to the skillet before proceeding. a snug fit is desireable.
- pour the sauce over the chicken, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 12-14 minutes.
- stir up from the bottom at least once to make sure the sauce isn't sticking.
- while the chicken cooks, cut the remaining chile into slivers with scissors.
- transfer the chicken to a serving plate. top with dollops of the remaining crema, the chile slivers and sesame seeds. serve hot.