1/1 Photo of Abuelita's Almond Chicken
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From the Border Cookbook, this is described as being "fast enough for a weeknight and fancy enough for company." Posted for ZWT 3, Mexico. You can control the heat/spiciness of this by using milder or hotter chiles. This goes well with Rice Tortitas (#231463).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 mild dried ancho chiles (or 4 hot arbol chiles, if you like more heat) or 3 dried pasilla peppers (or 4 hot arbol chiles, if you like more heat)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 4 -6 chicken pieces (leg-thigh sections, boneless breasts, your choice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sesame seeds, toasted
- 1blend the whipping cream and buttermilk to form the "crema".
- 2in a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of the crema with the stock, milk, almonds, 2 of the chiles and garlic and bring the mixture just to a boil over medium heat.
- 3let it sit for 5 minutes for the chiles to soften.
- 4transfer the mixture to a blender and puree.
- 5add salt to the sauce to taste.
- 6salt the chicken lightly. warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 7add the chicken and brown it on both sides. it may be easier to brown the chicken in batches, but return all the pieces to the skillet before proceeding. a snug fit is desireable.
- 8pour the sauce over the chicken, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 12-14 minutes.
- 9stir up from the bottom at least once to make sure the sauce isn't sticking.
- 10while the chicken cooks, cut the remaining chile into slivers with scissors.
- 11transfer the chicken to a serving plate. top with dollops of the remaining crema, the chile slivers and sesame seeds. serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Abuelita's Almond Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.4
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 87.8 mg
- Sodium 136.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: