I really like fried rice and was searching and searching for a recipe that I liked. My brother is a college student and one of his friends made some for dinner the night before and I snitched a bite the next day (I tried it cold, right from the fridge) and it was the best I have ever had (and it was cold)! His friend didn't have a written recipe to give me (he made the recipe up and just makes it), so I finally talked him into coming to my house to show me while I wrote the recipe down. My brother told me that there would be 5 of them coming over and to have the rice cooked and cooled. I had no idea how much rice to cook, so I made 4 1/2 cups (dry) rice. It made a ton, but after 7 of us ate (most had 2 bowls full) there was only 1 bowl as left overs. I am sure you can adjust this to make less. I had the original Kikkoman soy sauce to use and it was saltier and less sweet as the Aloha Shoyu that my brother's friend nomally uses. The serving amounts is a large range because you can have it as a meal like we did, or as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups dry rice, cooked and cooled (preferably day old)
- 6 -7 eggs, with a splash water, scrambled
- 1 (11 ounce) can spam lite, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1Scramble eggs in about 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok on medium high heat. When done, set aside in a bowl.
- 2Place another tablespoon of oil in wok and sauté onions and Spam on medium high heat. When golden & starting to crisp on the outsides add the thawed peas and carrots.
- 3Combine ingredients for the sauce and stir until sugar is dissolved, tasting along the way to be sure it is sweet enough for you. Add to the vegetables and boil on high until the sauce reduces to a glaze.
- 4Slowly add the cooled rice and eggs to the vegetable mixture, being sure to break up any clumps of rice and so the coloring is even. Warm the rice through and serve.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Absolutely the Best Spam Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 139.5 mg
- Sodium 2222.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 17.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: