I got this recipe out of a healthy recipes cookbook called "Crazy Plates" and it is by far my favorite! I will write the recipe as they did but know that I like to add avocado slices and tomato to the burger and also I prefer to leave out the brown sugar in the spread. Sometimes this makes for a messy burger so I cut up the mushroom and make a wrap out of the ingredients. Either way is really good! Oh and for anyone else who may not know, as I didn't, chickpeas are garbanzo beans. :) Also, if you have any left over spread, I like to use it in a regular sandwich wrap with turkey, spinach, tomato, cheese, and olives.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 medium portabella mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into wide strips
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thick rings (do not separate)
- 4 multi-grain hamburger buns
- 1 cup whole baby spinach leaves
- 1To make chickpea spread, combine all of the first 9 ingredients in a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, and basil. Brush mixture over both sides of mushrooms, pepper strips, and onion rings. Arrange vegetables in a baking pan and place under the broiler, about 5 inches from heat source. Broil for 3 minutes. Remove pan from oven, turn veggies over, baste with any remaining oil mixture, and return to oven. broil for 3-4 more minutes, until veggies are tender. (In the summer I also grill the veggies and it tastes wonderful!).
- 3To serve, line bottom of bun with spinach leaves (lettuce doesn't taste as good in my opinion). Place one whole mushroom over top. Spread with chickpea mixture over mushroom. Top with peppers, onions, and top half of bun.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Absolutely the Best Portabella Burgers!!!
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.7
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 2.9 mg
- Sodium 196.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
multi-grain hamburger buns