1/4 Photos of Absolutely the Best Amish Beef Stew
3 hrs 15 mins
This is just what its name implies...the absolute best beef stew ever. It is wonderful in the colder weather and really warms you up. I got the basic recipe from an old Amish cookbook and tweeked it a bit. My family loves it with home baked bread, so I always make Amish White Bread, Amish White Bread to go along with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs boneless beef cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 dash clove
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks or 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1Melt shortening over high heat in a large pot or dutch oven.
- 2Add beef cubes and brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
- 3Add onions, boiling water, salt, lemon juice, sugar, worcestershire sauce, pepper, paprika, allspice and cloves.
- 4Simmer, tightly covered, for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add vegetables and simmer another 30 minutes (covered), or until tender.
- 6Note: if your lid is not tight on the pot, you may not have enough liquid left to just about cover everything after you add the veggies.
- 7If this is the case, add more water to barely cover ingredients.
- 8Mix cold water and flour together and blend until smooth.
- 9Push meat and veggies to the side of the pot and add flour mixture slowly, incorporating into liquid.
- 10When gravy thickens, stir all ingredients gently to distribute gravy evenly.
- 11Simmer another 5 or 10 minutes and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Absolutely the Best Amish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1291.9
- Calories from Fat 1011
- Total Fat 112.3 g
- Saturated Fat 45.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.2 mg
- Sodium 1291.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 18.2 g