This is the exact hot slaw recipe from the world famous Forest View Gardens that used to be in Cincinnati. Unfortunately the place closed down years ago but that won't stop you from recreating the exact recipe they used in your own kitchen! What I have below is precisely the quantities and procedure we used for large scale production for a lot of people. If you are doing a smaller party or dinner, you can adjust the amounts accordingly. Keep in mind that the excess dressing can be refrigerated. Tips: Do not let this hot slaw sit around with dressing in it. It must be fresh! Don't over fill the bowl with dressing. I personally like just enough dressing to wet the cabbage and bacon and not a drop more. Make a whole gallon of dressing and bacon bits and store what you don't use for later. At Forest View Gardens, we made 30 gallons of dressing and 200 pounds of bacon bits on Thursday and it lasted the whole week!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fully cook bacon.
- 2While it is still hot, fill a food processor with bacon (do not add the grease to processor!) and chop it into coarse bits (If processor is not available, you should chop the bacon prior to cooking).
- 3Put hot chopped bacon in a strainer on a bowl to catch excess grease.
- 4Repeat until all bacon is chopped.
- 5Set bacon bits aside.
- 6Start with a Gallon container with a large mouth.
- 7Add sugar, vinegar, water, oil, salt, garlic.
- 8Stir with a large mixing spoon, making sure you get all the sugar off the bottom of the container.
- 9Heat the amount of dressing you plan on using on the stove on low heat or a steam table, stopping short of a boil (you will use 4-6 oz per serving).
- 10Fill salad bowls with shredded cabbage.
- 11Sprinkle about 2 tbsp of the fresh bacon bits on top of cabbage. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 12Immediately before serving, stir hot dressing well, then use a ladle to pour about 4-6 oz on the slaw making sure you thoroughly wet all the cabbage and bacon.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Absolutely BEST Hot Slaw Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 898.3
- Calories from Fat 715
- Total Fat 79.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 1399.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 14.3 g