Please Note: The words "Kale Moti" refer to the small grains of black urad dal. 'Kale' here is a Hindi(Indian) word for black colour which happens to be the colour the lentils used in this recipe. 'Moti' means pearls...what this means here is that this rice dish is a treat of black lentils and is as delicious as pearls are beautiful. 'Kale' here does not refer to any kind of cabbage. Have a spoon of this and you'll want to come and hug me, kiss me, probably even marry me for sharing this:) I got this recipe from the 'Thursday' magazine (contributed by Manisha Nanda, and she got 50 US dollars as prize money for this!), but, slightly tweaked it, to make it on the spicy side. It's not too spicy, its just great! The original recipe is on a sweeter side(more yogurt and some milk as well). I am absolutely head over heels crazy about this biryani. It's vegetarian, a complete meal in itself, finger food(Oh yes - you must eat it with your fingers to relish every grain of this dish that is absolutely priceless, its so tasty that I'd personally keep giving it stars till I dropped dead:) Not a bad idea to take a plate of this to your Girlfriend if she loves rice and is cross with you, she'll jump up and marry you, oh yeah, I bet she will :) TRY IT! :) This is one dish I really really love, inspite of the butter and rice(both which make a man fat), this one's just perfect to have once in a while, when your just sitting on that bubble of "I reached my goal" or even if you need something to inspire you to do something, try this dish. Not only will you see sweet dreams the night you make it, oh, you will be filled with a magical charisma! If I could, I would love to donate plates filled with this to every poor man, woman and child alive on the planet. I really really love this dish with my mind, body and soul :) Have it for your Diwali lunch/dinner party(With just 4 days to go before the festival day, you know what's going to be cooking at my end!), your birthday party(Attn: Troy- I'm thinking Nov 1st and of you- Happy Birthday a day in advance!), your New year party(Just 60 days left for 2002 to end!), your wedding anniversary, any time when you want to have a treat, and enjoy the food of a king, go for this! I'm dedicating this recipe to Troy Hakala as I know from his 'About Me' page that he loves Indian food, and, secondly, its his birthday on Nov 1st !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 4 cinnamon, pieces (small pcs.)
- 4 bay leaves
For kale moti
- 1 1/2 cups black Urad Dal, washed and soaked overnight in water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup slightly salted butter (I used the butter) or 1/2 cup ghee (I used the butter)
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, whisked
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1Soak the black urad dal overnight in plenty of water.
- 2The following morning, drain, and replenish with fresh water.
- 3Add baking soda and salt.
- 4Boil until cooked.
- 6Keep aside.
- 7Wash the rice and soak for 15 minutes in water.
- 9Boil rice in 3.
- 105 cups water with salt and garam masala powder.
- 11Lower flame, partially cover and cook till almost done.
- 12Keep aside.
- 13Now start preparing the urad dal mixture.
- 14For this, heat butter/ghee in a skillet.
- 15Add ginger-garlic paste and stir-fry till the raw smell is gone.
- 16Add red chilli and turmeric powders and 3 tbsps.
- 18Mix well.
- 19Cook for 2 minutes.
- 20Add the chopped green chilli and chopped tomatoes.
- 21Cook on low flame till the gravy becomes thick and the fat leaves the masala.
- 22Stir in the urad dal, allowing the gravy to coat the same.
- 23Sprinkle chopped corriander leaves, slit green chillies, garam masala powder, quartered tomatoes and fried onions.
- 24Lightly toss.
- 25Add rice, evenly, over the garnished urad dal mixture.
- 26Place a moist cloth on top.
- 27Cover with a tight fitting lid and seal the lid with atta dough.
- 28Put the sealed skillet on'dum' on low flame on your gas stove for 15-20 minutes, so as to let all the flavours blend beautifully with the rice, and the rice be cooked thoroughly well.
- 29Break the seal once the time is up, remove the cloth and transfer the rice to a serving dish.
- 30Serve hot with raita or a dollop of yogurt on top and/or a curry of your choice.
- 31DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU GET ADDICTED TO THIS.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Absolutely Addicitve Kale Moti Biryani - Lunch That's Complete
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 530.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: