Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My family's favorite. This is a very meaty lasagna. We prefer it with cottage cheese, but you can easily substitute ricotta.
Top Review by mom of 4
WOW!!! This was absolutely the BEST!!! I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious. My DH had 2 BIG helpings and he LOVED it!! Definately something I will make again and again. I followed the recipie exactly and added just a bit of sugar to the sauce. I always do to tomato sauces. BRAVO.
- 566.99 g lean ground beef
- 190.50 g Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6.16-8.23 ml salt (or to taste)
- 4.09 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 12.27 ml dried parsley flakes
- 12.27 ml dried oregano
- 12.27 ml dried basil
- 2 (685.20 g) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (or canned chopped tomatoes)
- 2 (283.49 g) can tomato paste
- 566.99 g cottage cheese or 566.99 g ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2.07 ml pepper
- 24.69 ml parsley
- 99.36 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 376.48 g mozzarella cheese, divided
- 10-13 lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, chopped tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste; stirring until well mixed.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour (or longer,but watch for getting too dry).
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cottage cheese, eggs, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 1lb of mozzarella cheese; In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture; repeat.
- Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese; make sure to cover noodles completely.
- Bake at 375F for 40-60 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted. (I cover w/ foil for about 40 minutes, then uncover for 15-20 minutes.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.