Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe off Unsophisticook, but the site is down sometimes when I want it so I'm copying it here. I have been cultivating sourdough starter for well over a year; some from Alaska some from San Francisco. In search for the best ABM sourdough recipe I came upon this. Be sure to read the DIRECTIONS because it takes a bit more work, but it's worth it.
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk, warmed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sourdough bread, starer
- Get all of the ingredients together and have them near your bread machine, with the container in the machine.
- Add 1 cup flour, honey, salt, and yeast to bread pan. Start basic bread cycle with dark crust to begin mixing these things together.
- Slowly add warmed milk and butter while the bread machine is stirring. I have also used whey left over from my crockpot yogurt and it's turned out AWE-SOME!
- Add the sourdough the same way; slowly while it mixes.
- Add the remaining flour to the wet mixture. The dough will get very crumbly and might seem too dry. Help this out by pressing down on the dough during kneading to get it to incorporate all dough bits.
- Close the top and let it finish its cycle. Take it out IMMEDIATELY so it doesn't get soggy,.
- Alternatively use DOUGH ONLY and then let it raise overnight and bake in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes. If you give it a "cold rise" it turns out even more awesome!