Recipe by Chef burnt toast
This is a dinner roll recipe that my mother calls "Laura's Dinner Rolls" because my daughter Laura likes them so much. I usually make the recipe into 18 to 24 rolls and put 9 to 12 of them into a round cake pan to rise and bake. Even my students request them when we do potlucks. I am from the Maritimes, Canada, so we use all purpose flour for them.
- 1 2⁄3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast, for bread machine
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure ingredients in the order listed into the baking pan, or follow your machine's instructions.
- Insert baking pan into oven chamber, close lid.
- Select "Dough" Setting.
- Press start.
- When cycle is done, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough into 18 to 24 pieces. Shape each into a smooth ball. Place balls almost touching into pans.
- Cover with a dishcloth and let rise 30 to 60 minutes (should be doubled in volume).
- Brush with glaze of egg and 1 Tablespoon water.
- Bake in 350oF oven for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan let cool on wire rack.