Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This pie is probably 100 years old. It is an old Southern recipe from South Carolina that has been in our family,thanks to wonderful Abel!
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lemon juice, and grated rind
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix sugar and flour together; add a little of the water and mix until smooth.
- Add beaten egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the remaining water and cook in a double boiler until thick, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from burner.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add salt, grated lemon rind and lemon juice; Pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites while gradually adding sugar; continue until they form stiff peaks and appear glossy.
- Cover pie filling with meringue topping, being careful to spread and cover top of pie completely.
- (to prevent weeping of meringue) Bake at 325F for 20 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned.