Recipe by Crabbycakes
This pie is probably 100 years old. It is an old Southern recipe from South Carolina that has been in our family,thanks to wonderful Abel!
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lemon juice, and grated rind
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix sugar and flour together; add a little of the water and mix until smooth.
- Add beaten egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the remaining water and cook in a double boiler until thick, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from burner.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add salt, grated lemon rind and lemon juice; Pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites while gradually adding sugar; continue until they form stiff peaks and appear glossy.
- Cover pie filling with meringue topping, being careful to spread and cover top of pie completely.
- (to prevent weeping of meringue) Bake at 325F for 20 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned.