Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This traditional Danish recipe is a popular Danish meal.
Make and share this Abehjerne (Monkey Brains) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, cut into squares
- 1⁄3 lb mini cocktail franks (Hillshire farms is recommended) or 1⁄3 lb beef hot dog, cut into 1 inch pieces (Nathans is recommended)
- 8 ounces low-fat whipping cream
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups cooked rice or 6 cups hot pasta, for serving
- Fry bacon in pan until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside, leaving bacon fat in the pan. Add onion to pan and sauté until slightly transparent.
- Add ground beef and cocktail sausages. Brown meat and sausage for 3 minutes, breaking meat up into smaller pieces.
- Stir in cream and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Break up the bacon into bite size pieces or smaller. Add to mixture. Serve over cooked rice or hot pasta.