This is my go-to banana bread I make to use up those brown bananas. I also peel and freeze overripe bananas and keep them until I feel like baking. Easy to bake, moist muffins or mini-loaf cakes, made with variety of ingredients you probably have on hand. Original recipe. I have used fewer bananas, more carrot or apple, etc, always with good results. I have made with double the sugar, which is a little too sweet for me. If you like your muffins sweet, add more sugar to taste. These keep well, but I never had to store them more than 3 days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 apple, grated (I usually use Fuji or Gala, any type will do)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 cups rolled oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds (optional)
- 8 ounces sour cream (good substitutes if you don't have sour cream on hand) or 8 ounces yogurt (good substitutes if you don't have sour cream on hand) or 8 ounces cream cheese (good substitutes if you don't have sour cream on hand)
- 1 cup liquid coconut oil or 1 cup mild-tasting cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 8 mini-loaf pans (3-1/2 x 6) or muffin tins (may use paper liners).
- 2Peel and core apple and put through food processor, or grate by hand. Put carrots through processor, then bananas. Set aside.
- 3Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together to combine.
- 4In a small bowl, add sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- 5Add wet ingredients to dry in large bowl. Mix with wooden spoon. Batter will be thick.
- 6Add fruit and nuts of your choice, and stir in.to distribute.
- 7Fill muffin cups or mini-loaf pans almost to the top (this batter does not rise a lot).
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (loaf pans) or 25 minutes (muffins). Depending on how many wet to dry ingredients, baking times may vary. Test with clean butter knife before removing from oven. Butter knife should come out clean when inserted into center.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for ABC-1 2 3 (Apple, Banana, Carrot) Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.8
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 159.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g