Abby Girl's Note:
I originally got this recipe from the Looneyspoon series but have adapted it to suit my taste. Here is my version of a thick, very satisfying chilli. I sometimes cook up some chicken breast and add it to the mix. The spices are a guideline...they can be increased or decreased according to taste. I tend to very liberal with the spices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated 2% milk
- 3 (19 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained (or a combination of black, chickpea, red kidney beans)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (or gourmet blend of wild rice with mixed brown rice)
- 1Heat stock pot slightly then add Pam. Add olive oil and add onions, celery and garlic. Cook and stir for 4 - 5 minutes, until veggies are softened.
- 2Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander to veggies. Mix well and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir until veggies is well coated. Stir in broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Redeuce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- 3Add beans, green chilies, salt pepper and cayenne pepper to veggies. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Remove chili from heat. Stir in sour cream and cilantro.
- 5Serving suggestions: I sometimes will cook a chicken breast for 30 minutes in my toaster oven, cut it into cubes and add half for a single serving of chili.
- 6I sometimes add 1/2 cup lentils; adding more broth if it gets too thick.
- 7I like to serve the chili with a gourmet blend of wild rice with mixed brown rice (I don't know if it is readily available elsewhere) -- which makes a wonderful nutty addition to the meal.
- 8White Chicken Chili: Four boneless chicken breast could be added. Cube the chicken and cook it for 3 - 4 minutes, or until no longer pink (as in step one). Add onions, celery and garlic -- then continue with the rest of the steps.
- 9Can garnish with cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Abby's White Chili (Low Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.1
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 335.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated 2% milk
salt and pepper