1/2 Photos of Abby's French Bread Braids
1 hr 10 mins
Hill Family's Note:
On the advice of her mother in law Abby got one essential cookbook. This recipe comes from this book, Pillsbury Complete Cook Book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a bowl combine 3 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast, mix well.
- 2In a small sauce pan heat 2 cups water and shortening until very warm.
- 3Add warm mixture to flour mixture, blend on low speed until moistened and then for 3 min on medium speed.
- 4By hand stir in an additional 1 1/2 - 2 1/4 cups flour to form a stiff dough.
- 5On a floured surface, knead 1/4 - 1/2 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minute.
- 6Place in a greased bowl, cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and a cloth towel. Let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, about 45-60 min.
- 7Grease a large cookie sheet. Punch the dough down several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide the dough in half and then divide each half into 3 equal parts.
- 8Roll each part into a 14 inch rope. Braid the 3 ropes, sealing the ends. Place on greased cookie sheet. Repeat with other dough half.
- 9In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp water and the egg white, beat slightly. Carefully brush over the loaves. Cover, let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, 20-30 minute.
- 10Heat over to 375. Uncover the loaves, brush again with egg white mixture. Bake for 25-30 min or until golden brown.
- 11Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Abby's French Bread Braids
Serving Size: 1 (1995 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2448.8
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3733.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 391.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 95.0 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 191.1 g