Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the absolute best Carrot Cake I have ever tasted. It comes from Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Station 63-- it's not hospital food, but a recipe from one of the nurses there. It is fantastic! Make it a day ahead and put it in the fridge after it is frosted and it gets even better!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the next 4.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Remove from oven when nice and golden on top, cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting: Pulse the cream cheese and butter in the food processor until smooth.
- Spoon into a bowl and add powdered sugar and vanilla, stirring well until smooth.
- Frost cake and cover, put into refrigerator until ready to serve.
This cake was fabulous! I made it in two 9" rounds, took one to our neighborhood easter egg hunt and served the other on Easter Sunday! Everyone loved it! A definitel keeper!!
I have made this cake many, many times and couldn't believe I had not yet rated it. I have never been a carrot cake fan - I could take it or leave it - until I made this one after one of my children requested carrot cake for their birthday. This cake is moist with perfectly balanced flavors in every bite. Not too sweet, but sweet enough. This one has become a favorite in our family! Thanks for posting.
To save time I bought cream cheese frosting but the cake was delicious. I made them into cupcakes so teh kids could have fun frosting them.