1/1 Photo of Abbey Cheese Croquettes With Pear Syrup (Belgium)
I used this recipe in week 26 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook on meal from every nation on Earth, and Belgium is my 26th stop. I never use any recipe for my blog that I'm not reasonably sure is from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. This appetizer uses Belgian Abbey cheese and homemade pear syrup; but you could really use any soft cheese if you aren't worried about authenticity, and you could also use a store-bought pear syrup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Croquettes
For the pear syrup
- 1Boil the water and sugar with the lemon zest for about five minutes.
- 2dd the pears, cut side down, and continue to boil for 8 minutes longer.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, remove the pears and lemon zest and set aside.
- 4Cut the abbey cheese up into little mini wedges, or just in small slices. Then coat each piece completely in flour.
- 5Dip the cheese pieces in the beaten egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- 6Repeat until all the cheese wedges are coated.
- 7Heat two inches of oil over a hot stove (the oil is ready when bubbles rise around the non-stirring end of a wooden spoon). Drop the breaded cheese into the oil, taking care to keep them separate so they don't stick.
- 8Fry until the croquettes are a golden color (this should take less than a minute).
- 9Drain on paper towels and serve with the pear syrup as a dipping sauce (you may need to add a little water to the syrup to thin the syrup).
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Abbey Cheese Croquettes With Pear Syrup (Belgium)
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1167.9
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 240.5 mg
- Sodium 1163.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 200.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 124.8 g
- Protein 33.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: