1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
California comfort food from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove abalone from shell and pound with a mallet until soft (abalone from the market is already tenderized).
- 2Add water and salt; simmer about 1 hour or until tender.
- 3Drain and force through food chopper and return to cooking water.
- 4Dice bacon and fry until crisp.
- 5Remove bacon and fry onions until translucent in bacon fat.
- 6Add bacon, onions, potatoes and parsley to the ground abalone and cook until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes), adding more water as needed.
- 7When ready to serve, add milk and heat almost to boiling; add cracker crumbs and butter and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Abalone Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (764 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.6
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 148.0 mg
- Sodium 1319.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 31.7 g