Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
California comfort food from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 lb abalone, trimmed
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup cracker, finely crushed
- Remove abalone from shell and pound with a mallet until soft (abalone from the market is already tenderized).
- Add water and salt; simmer about 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain and force through food chopper and return to cooking water.
- Dice bacon and fry until crisp.
- Remove bacon and fry onions until translucent in bacon fat.
- Add bacon, onions, potatoes and parsley to the ground abalone and cook until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes), adding more water as needed.
- When ready to serve, add milk and heat almost to boiling; add cracker crumbs and butter and serve at once.