Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Herb and Bean Stew, Persian/Iranian
- 500 g parsley or 500 g dill or 500 g coriander or 500 g spinach or 500 g spring onions, ends
- 100 g basmati rice
- 100 g peas
- 100 g beans
- 100 g lentils
- 500 g beef or 500 g lamb
- 3 large onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- Soak peas, beans and lentils in water for 4-5 hours.
- Peel and chop onions and fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Cut meat into small pieces and fry with onions until it changes colour.
- Add peas, beans, lentils, turmeric, salt, pepper and hot water, and cook over low heat for about one hour.
- Wash rice and add to the aash. Cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Wash vegetables and chop finely. Add to aash and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add more hot water during cooking if necessary.
Very good soup!