Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a very popular dish in Iran. This recipe is from a friend who lived in Iran many years ago.
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup yellow split peas
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups ground beef
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 2⁄3 cup fresh spinach, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- yogurt (optional)
- naan bread (optional)
- Chop one onion and saute in oil until golden brown. Add turmeric, peas and water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Grate the second onion and mix into the ground beef. Form ground beef and onion mixture into small walnut sized balls and add to simmering soup mixture.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the rice, parsley, cilantro, chives and spinach.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. The rice should be tender at this point.
- In another pan, melt butter and stir fry the garlic for 2-3 minutes making sure it does not burn. Add the mint, giving it a quick stir and then sprinkle over the soup. Serve.
This took a lot of work, but still came out really well, even for a white girl making it!
I was looking for this recipee thank you! Delicious!