Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wheat and Vegetable Stew, Iranian (Persian)
- 100 g wheat
- 700 g spinach
- 50 g chickpeas
- 50 g black-eyed peas
- 50 g lentils
- 50 g split peas
- 2 large onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- Soak peas, beans, lentils and wheat in water for 4-5 hours.
- Peel and chop onions and fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Add hot water, peas, beans, lentils, wheat, turmeric, salt and pepper, and cook over low heat for about one hour, stirring frequently.
- Wash and chop spinach and add to the aash. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Fry one spoonful of flour in oil for a few minutes and add to the aash.
- Stir and cook for a few more minutes.