Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 200 g basmati rice or 200 g long-grain rice
- 1 kg herbs (parsley, mint, coriander, spring-onion ends)
- 500 g ground lamb or 500 g beef
- 3 tablespoons split peas
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons marjoram
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 4 large onions
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- Peel and slice two onions and fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Add 4-5 glasses of hot water, split-peas, salt and pepper and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Wash rice and add to the aash.
- Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Peel and grate two onions.
- Add to meat with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Shape into small balls and add to the aash.
- Wash herbs, chop finely, add to the aash, and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add in lime juice, sugar, and marjoram (if fresh marjoram is used, it should be finely chopped).
- Mix well and cook for a few more minutes.
- Fry mint in oil for a few minutes (if fresh mint is used, it should be finely chopped before frying).
- Add mint on top of the aash and serve.