Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just saw this being made on Aarti's Party-new top chef winner! Had to share :)
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 piece cinnamon stick (1-inch)
- 4 green cardamom pods, smashed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 quarter sized pieces fresh ginger
- 9.85 ml black tea leaves (recommended ( Taj Mahal) or 9.85 ml black tea, of choice (I use decaf)
- 9.85 ml honey (or more)
- whole milk (I use almond or rice milk) or half-and-half (I use almond or rice milk)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, all of the spices and the ginger to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat and allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil, then add the tea. Turn the heat off, and allow it to steep for 3 to 5 minutes depending on how strong you like your tea.
- Stir in the honey and add milk to your liking. Strain it into a bowl or pitcher and serve!
This is a wonderful Chai tea, Sharon123. I really enjoyed it. It's great even without the honey and cream (I used cream instead of half N half), but they--especially the honey--finish it off nicely to produce a great cup of chai tea. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Ahhhh.....this feels so good on a cold winter day when my body is full of aches. Plus, thanks to morgainegeiser, I have decaf Assam so I don't have to worry about sleeping tonight. The only change i made was using crystallized ginger because I am (gasp) out of fresh. I added about 1c 1/2 & 1/2. This is sooo gooood! Next time i need to double the recipe because this pot isn't going to last long! Made for Veggie Swap 2/2013 - congrats, VIP!
I had some black tea leaves left from a recent RSC event, and was happy to see this recipe so that I could use them. All I can say is "Yum". Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT8.