1/1 Photo of Aarsi’s Ultimate Whole Mung Bean Lentils
3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Aarsi's Kitchen's Note:
This is a healthy vegetarian Indian food recipe. Mung Bean Lentils is one of my favorites because it is hearty yet deliciously simple, making it perfect for a stodgy and warming meal of lentils and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup green whole mung beans
- 1 green chili pepper (split in to two)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 dried bay leaves or 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, plus more for Garnishing (chopped)
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 1Wash the whole mung beans to get rid of any dirt.
- 2Soak them in fresh water for at least one hour.
- 3Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add bay leaf, cloves, asafetida, cumin seeds, ginger, green chili, garlic and onions. Sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- 4Add tomatoes along with red chili powder and garam masala. Combine all the ingredients and place a lid. Cook this for eight minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- 5Remove the lid. Add 4 Cups of water to this along with the drained beans and salt. Combine and place the pressure cooker lid with the whistle on.
- 6On medium heat, cook this until four whistles go off. You might have to cook it longer, depending on the type of pressure cooker you are using.
- 7Switch off the gas. Let the pressure cooker cool down.
- 8Remove the lid and check if the lentils are soft and adjust the salt level.
- 9If the lentils appear to be a little andante, place the pressure cooker back on the stove with the lid on and wait for another two whistles to go off.
- 10Repeat step 8.
- 11Garnish with Juliann fresh ginger and serve hot to your loved ones!
- 12Tips: This recipe can be turned to ‘Mung Bean Soup’ by adding more water.
- 13Number of whistles will depend on the duration for which the lentils were soaked in water. Longer the soak time, less whistles it will require.
- 14However, soak the lentils no longer then two hours.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aarsi’s Ultimate Whole Mung Bean Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.2
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 4.1 mg
- Sodium 1211.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: