Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a healthy vegetarian Indian food recipe. Mung Bean Lentils is one of my favorites because it is hearty yet deliciously simple, making it perfect for a stodgy and warming meal of lentils and rice.
- 1 cup green whole mung beans
- 1 green chili pepper (split in to two)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 dried bay leaves or 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1⁄2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, plus more for Garnishing (chopped)
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- Wash the whole mung beans to get rid of any dirt.
- Soak them in fresh water for at least one hour.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add bay leaf, cloves, asafetida, cumin seeds, ginger, green chili, garlic and onions. Sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- Add tomatoes along with red chili powder and garam masala. Combine all the ingredients and place a lid. Cook this for eight minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Remove the lid. Add 4 Cups of water to this along with the drained beans and salt. Combine and place the pressure cooker lid with the whistle on.
- On medium heat, cook this until four whistles go off. You might have to cook it longer, depending on the type of pressure cooker you are using.
- Switch off the gas. Let the pressure cooker cool down.
- Remove the lid and check if the lentils are soft and adjust the salt level.
- If the lentils appear to be a little andante, place the pressure cooker back on the stove with the lid on and wait for another two whistles to go off.
- Repeat step 8.
- Garnish with Juliann fresh ginger and serve hot to your loved ones!
- Tips: This recipe can be turned to ‘Mung Bean Soup’ by adding more water.
- Number of whistles will depend on the duration for which the lentils were soaked in water. Longer the soak time, less whistles it will require.
- However, soak the lentils no longer then two hours.