Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This cardamom scented chiffon cake is inspired by the aromatics found in India. Each bite is like an air pillow, with an explosion of flavors. It is the moistest cake you will ever have!
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 cup cake flour
- 14 tablespoons powdered sugar or 14 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided in to 2 equal parts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch table salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 green cardamom pod, crushed seeds
- cooking spray
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
Ingredients for Rose Frosting
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 7 tablespoons powdered sugar or 7 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons edible rose water
- pink food coloring
- Method for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and 7 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment, start beating the egg yolks in a bowl.
- While beating the eggs, very slowly add water. Combine well.
- Now slowly add the oil to create an emulsion (smooth consistency).
- Add the sifted flour mixture in several batches to form a smooth batter.
- Add the cardamom seeds. Mix for another ten-fifteen seconds. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, start beating egg whites while gradually adding seven tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Beat until this mixture forms peaks and triples in volume.
- Gently, fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and flour batter. Do this in three batches and do not over mix.
- Pour the batter on to a 12” x 16” baking sheet, which has been coated with cooking spray and dusted with all-purpose flour.
- Place this tray on the top rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake until the cake tester comes out clean. It should take about ten to fifteen minutes, depending on the oven.
- When the cake is baked, take the baking sheet out of the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Bring to room temperature.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter cut 12 circles out of the cake sheet. Set them aside.
- Method for Rose Frosting:
- Start beating 1 Cup heavy whipping cream in a mixer bowl, using a whisk attachment.
- Once frothy, gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Once the sugar is combined, add the food color with the help of a toothpick.
- Add the rose water.
- Continue beating until it triples in volume and forms peaks.
- Place the frosting in a zip lock bag. Seal the bag to remove air. Push the frosting to one corner and snip that corner of the bag.
- Unsalted Shelled Pistachios, chopped.
- Edible Dried Rose Petals.
- Once, you have the frosting ready and the cake cooled, its time to get creative!
- Place one cake circle at the bottom of a glass bowl.
- Pipe the prepared frosting to cover this cake circle.
- Place another cake circle on top of this frosting and repeat part 2.
- Garnish with pistachios and rose petals.
This was a sensuous, carnal delight! Love the combination of cardamon and rose water, though I didn't have the latter and substituted it with a tbsp of rose syrup instead. It turned out perfectly..not too overwhelming, not too sweet. The two flavors really interact well and will leave your taste buds dancing. Visually alluring as well. It was the perfect Valentine treat for someone special who has a sense of culinary adventure. Thank you, Aarsi for sharing!