Recipe by Aarsi's Kitchen
Toor dal is one of the most common preparations of yellow lentils that are made in Indian homes on daily basis. This dal is very nutritive and full of proteins. Use of the tomatoes and spices make it sweet and tangy! It can be enjoyed as a soup too!!
- 1 cup split pigeon pea lentils (Toor Dal)
- 6 fresh curry leaves
- 2 small roma tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- fresh juice from half lemon
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the lentils at least 4-5 times until the water is somewhat clear.
- Soak the lentils in fresh water for 40 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, asafetida, turmeric powder, mustard seeds and the curry leaves.
- When the above starts splattering, add the tomatoes, along with the garam masala, coriander powder and red chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Place a lid and let this cook for 6-8 minutes until the tomatoes become tender and the ghee starts separating from them. Stir regularly.
- Add the drained lentils along with the water and salt to the tomato mixture. Stir to combine.
- Place the pressure cooker lid with the whistle on and let the lentils cook on medium heat until they become tender but retain their round shape. I like to give it, at least 5 whistles.
- Switch off the gas and place the pressure cooker aside to cool.
- Remove the lid and add the lemon juice and fresh cilantro leaves. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve hot with rice and enjoy with your loved ones!