Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sooji Halwa is a very popular sweet dish all over India. It is prepared on auspicious occasions. This is my Mom’s recipe and very close to my heart.
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1) Heat water and sugar together and bring to a boil to make simple syrup.
- 2) Meanwhile, heat ghee in a non-stick pan.
- 3) Add Sooji (Semolina) to the ghee and stir regularly until the Sooji (Semolina) turns golden brown.
- 4) Switch off the gas and place this pan on the side.
- 5) Add sugar and water mixture to the Sooji (Semolina). Be careful, as it will boil up on you.
- 6) Return the above to the stove and on medium heat, stir frequently until the water gets evaporated.
- 7) Add half the almonds and all the raisins.
- 8) Cook this until the mixture leaves ghee (clarified butter) on the sides.
- 9) Remove and garnish with rest of the almonds and enjoy this warm and comforting dessert with your loved ones!
Thanks for an excellent recipe.
Such a comforting dessert! Made this after a meal of chicken tikka masala and roti with cauliflower. Will make again! Thanks for the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2011.