Recipe by Aarsi's Kitchen
Tart lemon adds a citrusy note to the rice and refreshes the palate. Excellent with baked fish.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 large lemon, freshly juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for taste
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 dry red chili
- 2 green chili peppers, diced
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup grams dal (chana dal)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted Spanish peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice and let it cool. I love using leftover rice.
- In a pan, heat 2 Tbsp of oil and on low heat and add the Chana Daal. Keep stirring until the dal becomes golden brown. Remove the dal in a bowl.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil to the same pan along with asafetida, curry leaves, turmeric powder, green chili and mustard seeds.
- Once they start splattering, add the dry red chilies.
- Add the cooked rice along with salt, peanuts and previously cooked dry chana daal. Stir gently to combine.
- After two minutes, add the fresh lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot with plain yogurt and papadums.
- Enjoy with your loved ones!