1/1 Photo of Aarsi’s Ultimate Baadal Jaam (Eggplant Topped With a Blend
1 hr 5 mins
Aarsi's Kitchen's Note:
The mild flavor of Eggplant or Baingan (as called in India), lends itself to the spicy mixture of onions and tomato (masala) and beautiful flavors are born!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 globe eggplants, cut in to half inch thick slices
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 1 inch cube ginger (thinly sliced)
- 2 green chilies (diced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/3 cup tomato ketchup
- fresh cilantro leaf, for garnishing
- 1Prepping the Eggplant:.
- 21) Cut eggplant into ½ inch thick slices.
- 32) Brush oil on both sides of each eggplant slice.
- 43) On a non-stick pan, cook the eggplant slices on both sides (each side should take five minutes).
- 5Prepping the Onion and Tomato Salsa (Masala):.
- 61) Heat oil in a pan. To this, add asafetida, green chilies, ginger and onions along with salt. Sauté till the onions become translucent.
- 72) Add Tomatoes along with coriander powder, red chili powder and garam masala. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the oil starts separating from this mixture.
- 83) Add ketchup and cook for another two minutes.
- 94) Switch off the gas and set aside.
- 10Arranging the Baadal Jaam:.
- 111) Place the eggplant slices side by side on the serving platter.
- 122) Top each slice with 1 tablespoon full of the prepared masala.
- 133) Add a dollop of sour cream on each of these slices and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- 14Serve hot and enjoy it with your loved ones!
- 161) You can substitute sour cream with Greek yogurt or hung yogurt (yogurt without water).
- 172) You can cook the masala and eggplants ahead and warm them before serving.
- 18Aarsi’s ultimate Baadal Jaam (Eggplant topped with a blend of spices).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aarsi’s Ultimate Baadal Jaam (Eggplant Topped With a Blend
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.0
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 621.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: