Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This can either be cooked on top of the stove, in the oven or in the slow cooker. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 8 medium)
- 1⁄2 lb pork steak, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine meat with vegetables and barley, place in pan and cover with water.
- Cook slowly for two hours.
- When tender, mash and mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste.