Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 600 g lamb shoulder or 600 g beef shoulder
- 50 g split peas
- 4 dried limes or 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 medium onions
- 6 medium potatoes
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Peel and thinly slice onions. Fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Wash split peas and fry slightly with onions.
- Cut meat into small pieces, add to onions and split peas, and fry over medium heat until colour changes.
- Add salt, black pepper, and turmeric.
- Follow with six glasses of hot water and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- The pot should be covered with a tight lid so that little steam escapes during cooking.
- Add crushed dried limes or lime juice.
- Wash and peel potatoes and add in as well.
- Cook over low heat with the pot again tightly covered for another 30 minutes. If necessary, add more hot water during cooking.
- When cooked, pour the juice into another container.
- With the back of a fork or spoon, fully crush the ingredients and mix well.
- Serve both the ingredients and the juice separately with Iranian, middle-eastern, or pita bread.
- Rice is not served with aab-goosht.
- When eating, cut bread into small pieces and briefly soak in the juice or form morsels by wrapping a small piece of bread around some of the food.
i think your aab goosht should be on the fire more almost 6-5 hours as we do in Iran
I am guessing the dried limes should be crushed without the insides. Ie. break them apart and discard the innards as in Recipe #419710 for a less bitter powder!
I've made this dish before and as I saw the recipe made me want to make it again. Especially that I have some dried limes. I love Iranian stews.