Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The broth is outstanding. Serve with fresh homemade bread and salad and you are set. Great for leftovers.
- 1 lb beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with green pepper and garlic)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into bit size cubes
- Warm oil and skillet and brown beef cubes.
- Place vegetables in bottom of crock pot and add cooked beef.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour over ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours.
The flavor of this was very good, although I feel it could almost be considered more of a soup than a stew. I did cut the potatoes up into very small, bite-sized cubes, but had difficutlty getting them to cook through. I cooked on low temp. for about 8 hours and finally turned the temp. to high for the last half hour to thoroughly cook the potatoes. The next time I prepare this dish, I will cut the amount of tomatoes in half, to our own taste. Thank you for posting, Audrey!
First of all, you need to use a 6 quart slow-cooker for this recipe. I used my 4 quart cooker thinking it would be big enough, but it wouldn't hold all the liquid. The flavor of the broth was good. For my taste, I will only use 1 can of tomatoes next time. The consistency is more like a soup, so may add something to thicken it, like cornstarch. Hearty and filling--made a nice lunch. Thanks.