Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my standard recipe for banana bread, been making it for years, it describes itself as so easy that your children can try their hand at it! It always turns out well for me, and I am not much of a baker. It comes from "The Best Of Winning Recipes", a compilation of recipes from a popular South African magazine, "Huisgenoot". This recipe is accredited to Mrs H van der Berg of Brits.
- 6 ripe medium bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 275 g cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- 200 g sugar
- 150 g peanuts, chopped
- 2 eggs, separated
- 50 g butter or 50 g margarine, melted
- 5 ml grated lemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350°F Grease a 23x13x7 cm loaf tin. Peel and mash the bananas and mix them with the lemon juice.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt, in a fairly large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and nuts and mix. Beat the egg yolks and add them to the flour mixture with the butter or margarine. Mix lightly.
- Add the banana pulp and lemon rind and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until just stiff, and fold them lightly into the batter with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the batter into the tin, level it off, and sprinkle more nuts on top if desired. (I sprinkle some brown sugar on top).
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 60 minutes. Test with a skewer to see if done: if the skewer comes out clean, the loaf is ready; if it does not, bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool slightly in the tin. Turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Great little snack for us this afternoon. Great banana flavor, and worked well with the peanut mixture. Drizzled a real small amount of chocolate syrup on the top. YUMMY.
A really great bread! Similar to what grandma would make! I substituted Walnuts for the peanuts as we like them better. Thanks Karen for this recipe. I made for PRMR!
Delicious banana bread!!! I made this as written with 2 exceptions, I only made 1/2 of the recipe and I subbed mini chocolate chips for the peanuts due to DS doesn't care for any type of nut. Nice and moist with a great banana flavor, then add a bit of chocolate, yummy!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for 2013 Spring PAC.